[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6158: allow removing membership activity from the criteria for marking a group "recently active"

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 22 21:13:55 UTC 2015

#6158: allow removing membership activity from the criteria for marking a group
"recently active"
 Reporter:  jreeve        |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Core          |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 Groups will get marked as recently active when they've had membership
 changes, but some users might not consider those types of activities
 notable as recent activities. On our BP install, we have lots of group
 membership changes, especially from new users, and that floods the list of
 recently active groups, thereby obscuring more significant activity like
 forum posts. We'd like to use our Recently Active Groups widget to
 highlight groups with lots of significant activity, not just membership
 changes.

 One solution might be to remove the call to `groups_update_groupmeta` from
 the function `groups_join_group`, and to add the already-existing function
 'groups_update_last_activity` there, like this: `add_action(
 'groups_join_group', 'groups_update_last_activity' );`. That way, users
 that want to prevent group membership activities from marking groups as
 active will be able to remove that action, like they're already able to do
 with `groups_leave_group`, `groups_created_group`, etc.

 Unless there's a reason `groups_join_group` handles updating this metadata
 with `groups_update_groupmeta`, instead of calling
 `groups_update_last_activity`?

 I'll see if I can add a patch for this.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6158>