[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5733: Use wp_cache_add_global_groups() so cache is applicable throughout multisite

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 11 22:59:12 UTC 2014

#5733: Use wp_cache_add_global_groups() so cache is applicable throughout
multisite
 Reporter:  wpdennis      |       Owner:

Comment (by johnjamesjacoby):

 I'm usually all for wrapper functions for our own convenience, but because
 caching is already a bit of a black box, and because we're still moving
 things around, let's not think about that until we feel we've come to some
 conclusions.

 I may change my mind later, but right now I really like the idea of coming
 up with a convention for defining the scope of cache groups, and having
 components register them via `BP_Component`. This likely will not be
 totally linear, as components can have several scopes, but we'll learn
 more once we fully audit our current usages.

 Regarding the array of user-meta keys in the BP Multi Network plugin,
 since we don't currently register meta (using `register_meta()` or
 otherwise) we don't have an central arrays of component meta keys to make
 this easy anywhere. bbPress does this for users
 [https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/includes/users/options.php#L13
 here] and options
 [https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/includes/core/options.php#L13
 here] but not anywhere for post-meta yet (and also does not use
 `register_meta` as it wasn't finalized for WordPress 3.3 when bbPress
 development started.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5733#comment:12>