[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #787: All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some data types

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jun 14 19:20:21 UTC 2014

#787: All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some
data types
-------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jeffsayre                |       Owner:  johnjamesjacoby
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by boonebgorges):

 > Default should be off for text, textarea as well IMHO.

 I think DJPaul is arguing that we should be conservative for 2.1, in
 anticipation of a more thorough overhaul in 2.2 (possibly related to
 hashtags). I think his suggestion is a good one.

 > But store the actual option in xprofile meta as a negative option. e.g.
 'dont_link_to_search'.
 > Discoverability is v important and should remain the default in majority
 of cases, and as such, we don't want to store a lot of "yes" value for
 each field.

 Yes, and this technique will have the bonus of making backward
 compatibility easier, as existing fields will need no migration in :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/787#comment:14>