[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #5160: Use gruntjs to generate minified versions of the js and css files everywhere.

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 17 08:46:25 UTC 2014

#5160: Use gruntjs to generate minified versions of the js and css files
everywhere.
-------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  enej         |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
Changes (by netweb):

 * cc: stephen@… (added)

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:7 hnla]:
 > Do we have to be aware of anything in this respect? Currently I keep
 around half a dozen dev sites running bp checked out and kept updated from
 svn trunk does that now become files from the build branch?
 Per Paul's post [https://bpdevel.wordpress.com/2014/04/16/grunt-coming-to-
 buddypress/ here]:
  "A plugin loader file will be added to the root to prevent these changes
 breaking existing sites running trunk"
 With bbPress we have a
 [https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/bbpress.php
 `bbpress.php`] file in the root of the repo that if a `/build` folder is
 found load bbPress from that folder, if not load bbPress from the `/src`
 folder.
 > If so or even if not do we have to update our checkouts, change
 procedures in any manner,
 Simply update the any of your SVN repos as you do now, no change is
 needed.

 > equally if creating a patch from our locals is there any change in the
 manner in which we would do that?
 Again no change is specificly needed, ideally though when creating patches
 from the root of the repo your patches will now include the `/src` path in
 the patch. Existing patches without the `/src` in the path can be applied
 in the `/src` folder and 'should' work fine in most cases.

 ----

 Outside of the above having some environment variables in your profile as
 outlined in the [http://codex.buddypress.org/developer/automated-testing/
 BuddyPress Automated Testing] doc will be helpful to to run BP Unit Tests
 in finding WordPress' unit tests.

 You need to install [http://nodejs.org/ Node.js]
 (If you have [http://brew.sh/ homebrew] package manager, you can install
 Node.js with one command: `brew install node`.)

 Finally you need to install [http://gruntjs.com/getting-started Grunt-CLI]
 `npm install -g grunt-cli`

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5160#comment:8>