[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #5175: Multisite: Trying to register with capital letters is not possible. Error message doesn't reflect this.

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 18 01:55:57 UTC 2013

#5175: Multisite: Trying to register with capital letters is not possible.  Error
message doesn't reflect this.
------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  r-a-y             |       Owner:  r-a-y
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  closed

Comment (by r-a-y):

 > why does MS strlower, why would MS be different from regular installs

 It's one of those weird WP things, probably a relic from the old WPMU days
 that hasn't been looked at until recently.  See #WP17904 for more on this.

 > In the error message if MS we should match to the other in respect of
 stating characters allowed?

 > 'Username must be in lowercase characters and only contain '.', '-', '@'
 '

 Good catch.  I missed this!  Will fix this up.

 > that of BP taking a space in a username and replacing it with a hyphen,
 this results or can result in a user being completely foxed when they
 attempt to login as essentially BP has taken the users name and changed it
 to something different but not told user ;)

 Agreed that this is a problem.  Check out #4622.  The whole problem has to
 do with single WP allowing spaces in usernames and BP kind of reinforcing
 that you shouldn't be using spaces, which is causing the whole kerfuffle.
 Let's keep this discussion in #4622, but you're right that we should fix
 this up.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5175#comment:6>
BuddyPress <http://buddypress.org/>