[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #5032: Sending group invite to member that has requested group membership doesn't work

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 3 13:01:09 UTC 2013

#5032: Sending group invite to member that has requested group membership doesn't
work
-----------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Mike_Cowobo            |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)           |      Status:  new
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * keywords:  has-patch => has-patch 2nd-opinion

Comment:

 Thanks for the report and patch, Mike_Cowobo. This bug has bothered me
 before.

 I wonder if your solution might be a little *too* transparent. If I'm
 invited to a group, then I request membership to the group, I'm added
 directly to it. This is a little bit confusing. The "ideal" solution might
 be to modify the helper text throughout. So, (a) when I've been invited, I
 no longer see "Request Membership" buttons - the text changes to "Accept
 Invitation". (b) In the other direction: if I request membership to a
 group, and a group admin goes to invite me to the group, she will see some
 text on the Send Invites screen to the effect of "This user has requested
 membership. Sending an invitation will automatically add the user to the
 group." Finally, (c) the message added via `bp_core_add_message()` would
 be updated in these cases to reflect the actual state of affairs: "Since
 you've already received an invitation to join this group, your membership
 request has automatically been accepted.", etc.

 (b) and (c) will be easy. I'm not sure how easy (a) will be in the context
 of group directories - we want to make sure to fetch request/invitation
 data all at once, so we don't slow down the pageload.

 Am I overthinking this?

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5032#comment:1>
BuddyPress <http://buddypress.org/>