[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #3480: Upgrade from 1.2.9 to 1.5 breaks profile page, causes permanent redirect to site homepage

buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Aug 16 16:23:39 UTC 2011

#3480: Upgrade from 1.2.9 to 1.5 breaks profile page, causes permanent redirect to
site homepage
 Reporter:  foxly      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect     |      Status:  new
 Priority:  critical   |   Milestone:  1.5
Component:  Core       |     Version:  1.5
 Severity:  critical   |  Resolution:
 Keywords:  has-patch  |
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * keywords:   => has-patch


 I spent some time digging into the issue this morning. It's fairly
 complicated, but a workable fix is easy. Here's the summary of the
 problem, for those interested.
 - When you visit a member profile and you haven't overridden
 BP_DEFAULT_COMPONENT, $bp->current_component is set to 'activity' (as long
 as 'activity' and 'xprofile' are both active)
 - In order for this to work correctly, the components must load in the
 correct order. In particular, it looks like xprofile has to load before
 activity, though I didn't do enough testing to be positive that this is
 the pair that really matters.
 - On a fresh BP installation, this sorting happens automatically during
 the installation process (because of the order in which the components are
 listed during the installation wizard).
 - However, on an upgrade, the components step in the wizard is skipped,
 under the assumption that this information does not need to be filled in
 - That means that $bp->active_components gets filled in by some code in
 bp-core-loader, which orders the active components array according to the
 optional_components array, which is alphabetical. Moreover, the script in
 bp-core-loader.php doesn't save the array to bp-active-components, so the
 mistake keeps happening (otherwise it would get corrected by the
 array_flip on bp-active-components).


 My solution is to reintroduce the Components step of the wizard. That also
 means doing a bit of logic inside of bp_core_admin_component_options() to
 convert bp-deactivated-components (the 1.2.9 setting) into
 active_components. This solves the problem, and plus I think it's kinda
 nice to be reminded of the components during an upgrade anyway, so it's
 not a big UI loss (I'd argue it's a gain).

 Please test 3480.01.patch!

Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3480#comment:17>
BuddyPress <http://buddypress.org/>

More information about the buddypress-trac mailing list