[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #2429: in main blog directory url for main blog is wrong if activity stream is on homepage

buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Apr 25 12:46:11 UTC 2011

#2429: in main blog directory url for main blog is wrong if activity stream is on
homepage
----------------------+--------------------
  Reporter:  dwenaus  |      Owner:
      Type:  defect   |     Status:  closed
 Component:  Core     |    Version:
Resolution:  wontfix  |   Keywords:
----------------------+--------------------
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 DJPaul - I don't think it matters. dwenaus's problem, if I understand it,
 is that links from the blog directory point toward the homeurl of the
 blogs being listed, instead of the place where the individual blog posts
 live. It doesn't so much matter what *does* show on the front page, only
 that posts *don't*.

 I am going to suggest wontfix for this, for the following reasons:
 1) If we replace the href for the root blog (eg example.com/posts for
 example.com) then we should, for consistency's sake, do the same
 replacement for all blogs (since any blog can change the page that
 displays its posts). But this means that BP either needs to query each
 blog to see if 'page_for_posts' is set (bad idea), or keep track in its
 own tables of each blog's page_for_posts/show_on_front settings. That's a
 lot of extra code that we'll have to include (hooking into options being
 saved, expanding our tables, etc) for what is sort of an edge case.

 2) More importantly: Pointing users directly to the Posts page potentially
 subverts the intent of the blog owner. Presumably the blog owner sets
 something other than Posts to the front page because it's not what she
 wants visitors to see when they first log in. Overriding this behavior in
 the blog directory seems intrusive to me.

 There is a filter bp_get_blog_permalink that should allow site owners to
 make this fix quite easily. Just hook something like dwenaus's function
 (though I would use the new API function bp_is_root_blog( $blog_id )
 instead of doing a string check against the root domain, but that's mostly
 an aesthetic choice) to bp_get_blog_permalink and filter it however you'd
 like.

 Please reopen if I've misunderstood, or if you have pressing arguments in
 the other direction.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/2429#comment:2>
BuddyPress <http://buddypress.org/>