[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress] #2194: RSS feed serious accent problem

buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com buddypress-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Apr 14 00:11:48 UTC 2011

#2194: RSS feed serious accent problem
  Reporter:  chouf1    |      Owner:  sorich87
      Type:  defect    |     Status:  reopened
  Priority:  normal    |  Milestone:  1.3
 Component:  Activity  |    Version:
Resolution:            |   Keywords:  has-patch needs-testing

Comment (by cnorris23):

 DJPaul and boonebgorges,

 I was reading through the IRC logs for the day, and wanted to fill you in
 on the question you two had about the CDATA tag being removed. When I was
 troubleshooting the ticket I kept finding that if an entity was used
 rather than an accented character, the actual entity would display. The
 expected behavior was that the browser would then convert the entity. I
 was testing in Firefox, so curiosity and the fact that I knew Firefox was
 sometimes weird in the way it cached feeds, I tried things in Safari.
 That's when I found CDATA was the issue. After scanning the RSS docs I
 found that while it's not explicitly stated that CDATA in a title tag is
 incorrect (feedvalidator.org doesn't flag it either), there didn't seem to
 be a place where it was stated that it could be expected. Conversely, docs
 for the description tag do state that CDATA may appear. It seems to be a
 gray area that the two browsers have handled differently. Since, strip
 tags is run on the feed titles, I chose to remove the CDATA from the title
 tags, which seems to clear up the problem.To note, WP doesn't use CDATA in
 the feed titles either. I only tested in Firefox 3.6 and Safari 5, but
 since both Chrome and Safari are Webkit based, I assume that Chrome never
 had the issue. Hope that explains it, and sorry for the length. It's the
 reason I didn't address it earlier ;)

Ticket URL: <https://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/2194#comment:44>
BuddyPress <http://buddypress.org/>

More information about the buddypress-trac mailing list