[bbDev] [1542] trunk: Rename BB_DATABASE_CLASS to BB_DATABASE_CLASS_INCLUDE (it' s a file).

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Wed May 21 07:20:51 GMT 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 11:25 PM, Sam Bauers wrote:

> Maybe BackPress should use or also include HyperDB...?
>
> We could support 2 configurations. Standard bbPress/WordPress and
> HyperDB style configs and just autoswitch between them.

At the moment, BackPress has two DB classes:

BPDB - normal, plain jane single DB.  It's essentially what WordPress
uses.

BPDB_Multi - can talk to different DBs for different tables.  This is
something like a generalization of the old bbPress DB class (that
could talk to a separate user DB), with a few hints taken from
HyperDB.  This is the DB class enabled by default in bbPress trunk.

HyperDB would be one more step beyond BPDB_Multi - it could talk to
multiple DBs, multiple copies of those DBs, distinguish between
slaves/masters, understand sharding, etc.

I think HyperDB could be made an extension of BPDB_Multi without too
much work.  One goal of mine for the first two classes was to set up
the backbone for that very task: BPDB_Hyper.

If anyone wants to tackle that, I'm happy to share thoughts,
Mike