[bbDev] MySQL vs. MySQLi

Sam Bauers sam at wopr.com.au
Wed Nov 21 01:37:20 GMT 2007

Hi all,

We are thinking it might be best to drop the built in MySQLi support
for now for a couple of reasons.

1. We don't use any of the OOP (PHP5) features of MySQLi - we can't
because of our commitment to remain backwards compatible with PHP4
2. It adds more code without adding any real benefit and as we have
noticed recently this has added more support issues and some breakage
in the current release.
3. MySQL is generally available when MySQLi is available so removing
MySQLi should only affect border cases.

The first step to doing this is to switch to MySQL as the default
instead of MySQLi, addressed in this Trac ticket:

http://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/757

I am especially after opinions on point 3 as I have only my anecdotal
experience to go by.

Sam