[bbDev] Release Proposal

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Wed Jun 6 23:45:17 GMT 2007

bbPress hasn't seen a new release in a while, and I suggest we change
that :)

I also have a proposal for a release... "methodology" might be a
better word than "schedule" (since bbPress has historically been
pretty bad about sticking to a schedule).

Until 1.0, at least, we release as often as possible with one new
"big feature" per release.  A "release feature" would be defined as a
new chunk of backend code that gives users at least one new cool
thing.  Here's my proposed list.

Release Features
0.8.2.  Slug permalinks and hierarchical forums (ASAP).
0.8.3.  XML-RPC: receiving pingbacks
0.8.4.  Pseudo-cron: sending pingbacks, deleting spam older than X days
0.8.5.  WP's new taxonomy structure: extensible post flags (including
bozo, spam rework)

Ongoing features (to be included as we go)
*   BB_Query class (class for doing generic SELECTs on topics,
posts), and topic and post template loops like we now do for forums.
( http://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/657 or similar)
*  Better admin interface for editing users
*  Use BB_Query class to build better admin interface for topics,
posts, spam etc.

Obviously, bug fixes will still need to be addressed, but it'd be
nice to concentrate on just one "big" features that users will
appreciate for each release.

Thoughts?
Mike