[bbDev] installation issue

Sam Bauers sam at viveka.net.au
Thu Feb 8 04:31:55 GMT 2007

Short regexp primer... plus potential bug...

The regexp wants there to be at least one period (.) in there.

(.*\.)?([^.]+\.[^.]+)

Break it up into parts

(           <-- start subpattern
    .*       <-- 0 or more of any character
    \.       <-- exactly one period
)?          <-- end subpattern (match 0 or 1 of this subpattern)

(           <-- start subpattern
    [^.]+    <-- 1 or more of any character that is not a period
    \.       <-- exactly one period
    [^.]+    <-- 1 or more of any character that is not a period
)           <-- end subpattern (match 1 of this subpattern)

"localhost" does not satisfy this pattern, "four.three.two.one" does,
as does "two.one"

Looking at that code, the next bit of logic compares the bbpress
domain to the wordpress domain to test for cookie sharing, but it
appears to only test the last two parts of the domain names. IE if
your bbpress domain name is www.example.org and your wordpress domain
name is www.example.org it tests them by comparing whether
"example.org" matches "example.org".

This seems a bit dodgy as down here where I am and in other parts of
the word we have domain names like www.example.org.au, so if we do a
similar test we are checking "org.au" matches "org.au". So the test
will potentially not return an error when it should, like if your
bbpress domain name is www.example.org.au and your wordpress domain
name is www.another.org.au, by the looks of things it will match
"org.au" to "org.au" and keep you blissfully unaware that the
integration won't work.

I can't suggest a better test because I'm not sure of the
implications it may have to later setting of the cookies domain.

Sam