[bbDev] bbPress meta data storage

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Fri Nov 17 17:11:07 GMT 2006

Dougal Campbell wrote:
> Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>
>> Dougal Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> I even wonder how much trouble it would cause if we made a similar
>>> change in WP. We could make the upgrade process check for duplicate keys
>>> and combine them into a single key with a serialized array value, then
>>> modify the API functions to change how they access the data, while
>>> maintaining the old data structures.
>>>
>> Would you be up for working on that patch for WP? It'd be nice to
>> unify bb and WP, and make both cleaner.
>>

> Yeah, I was thinking that I might go ahead and work up a patch, start a
> ticket in the WP Trac and solicit some opinions on it from the
> developers-at-large. I think I might have a brief lull at work today, so
> maybe I can take a stab at it on my lunch hour.

Okay, I finally had a chance to take a quick look at the current state
of the post meta functions in WordPress. I still need to make some notes
on how to handle the automatic serialization/deserialization and
database upgrades, but I think it's doable. I went ahead and started a
ticket in Trac:

  http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3364

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>