[bbDev] bbPress meta data storage

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Thu Nov 16 16:52:49 GMT 2006

David Chait wrote:
> Part of the niceness of multiple keys was the simplicity of the Post
> interface for doing so, being able to have users add multiple fields
> with the same key.  If you're saying that you'll retain that ability,
> and under the covers transparently save and retrieve the multiple
> keys, that's fine by me!  But, then I'd suggest 'expanding' the
> accessor functions to handle more cases of retrieving the meta table
> data -- easier to tell someone a function to use instead of 'standard'
> custom query, than to tell them how to modify custom queries. ;)

Good points. A change like this is bound to break something somewhere,
especially if plugins are doing queries directly, rather than using the
built-in API functions. But for those who do it 'properly' we should be
able to minimize the pain, it not make it completely painless. Can you
send me a use-case example from your work? You can send it directly,
rather than cluttering this list with off-topic chatter about WP's meta
implementation :)

I haven't had enough time to mull this over yet, so I don't know yet if
it would be necessary to make a new set of accessor functions and
deprecate the old ones over a release or two.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/