[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60727: Allow fine-grained control of when to use oEmbed for providers outside the explicit list

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 7 18:30:45 UTC 2024

#60727: Allow fine-grained control of when to use oEmbed for providers outside the
explicit list
 Reporter:  MadtownLems  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Embeds       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 WordPress maintains a list of appvoed oEmbed providers. Developers are
 able to add or remove providers from this list.

 WordPress also attempts to see if URLs, outside the provider list, support
 oEmbed - and if they do, it uses oEmbed for them.  Unfortunately, this is
 currently an "all or nothing" appraoch. You can either agree to use all
 these random sites oEmbed, or none.  I'd love to see a filter added to
 control whether or not a specific URL, outside the provider list, should
 use oEmbed.

 For reference, our specific use case is we want to continue supporting
 oEmbed for the vast majority of sites that support it - but we've
 identified some specific domains that do a poor job of oEmbed, and we'd
 like to only turn it off for those domains.