[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60362: Emojis cause "Updating failed. Could not update post in the database." error

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 28 01:59:48 UTC 2024

#60362: Emojis cause "Updating failed. Could not update post in the database."
error
 Reporter:  mikefitzman   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Database      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Hi guys

 I recently discovered what I think is a bug, 'confirmed' by the folks at
 Brainstorm Force.

 As of 26 January, I was suddenly unable to update certain posts and pages
 in WordPress. When I tried to save, I received the "Updating failed"
 error, but had made no backend or other changes to spontaneously create
 this error. I use Gutenberg.

 I stumbled across a GitHub thread about someone with a lightning emoji in
 a post with the same problem. With this in mind, I removed all emojis from
 the pages and posts that could not save and sure enough, all functionality
 was restored to normal after doing so. I verified this several times by
 re-introducing emoijis, which reintroduced the error.

 I've reported this to my host, Brainstorm Force (Astra theme devs) and now
 here. I hope it is of some assistance.

 Regards

 Mike

 liquidaudio.com.au