[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59969: Conditional loading `build_template_part_block_variations` for performance improvement

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 22 17:03:29 UTC 2024

#59969: Conditional loading `build_template_part_block_variations` for performance
improvement
--------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  thekt12                   |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by flixos90):

 I generally agree with @spacedmonkey that this is something that needs to
 be addressed in Gutenberg. The core change is reasonable and the only
 reason that there are test failures, as far as I can tell, is that the
 Gutenberg code needs to be updated to be compatible with the core change.

 The situation is less than ideal, but the reality is that with the two
 codebases these problems will come up, and we can't expect WP core to not
 make changes like this. I do however acknowledge that we should do a
 better job in anticipating potential Gutenberg breakage from WP core
 changes and proactively communicate them between teams or even open a
 Gutenberg PR in advance, to avoid situations like the current one.

 @youknowriad What would be the effort needed to update the Gutenberg
 blocks that make use of the (now outdated) way? If this is indeed blocking
 a lot of other crucial work right now ahead of the 6.5 Beta, I think it
 would be okay to revert. But if we revert, we should commit to addressing
 this in the near future on both sides.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59969#comment:57>