[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60258: Security Concern and Enhancement Request: Disable Admin Role Assignment on User Registration

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 15 17:06:03 UTC 2024

#60258: Security Concern and Enhancement Request: Disable Admin Role Assignment on
User Registration
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  arunu1996       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Security        |    Version:  6.4.2
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
 Hi,

 I recently identified a potential security threat in WordPress related to
 the **"Anyone can register"** setting under **General Settings**.
 Currently, when this setting is enabled, new users can be assigned the
 **Administrator** role during registration, posing a security risk.

 I propose the addition of an option in the ''wp-config.php'' file to
 disable the assignment of the **Administrator** role option for the **New
 User Default role** field in general settings. This would provide an extra
 layer of security for WordPress websites.