[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59969: Conditional loading `build_template_part_block_variations` for performance improvement

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 8 07:52:54 UTC 2024

#59969: Conditional loading `build_template_part_block_variations` for performance
improvement
 Reporter:  thekt12                              |       Owner:  thekt12
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by gaambo):

 For [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/blob/trunk/src/wp-
 includes/class-wp-block-styles-registry.php block styles],
 [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/blob/trunk/src/wp-includes
 /class-wp-block-patterns-registry.php patterns] and
 [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/blob/trunk/src/wp-includes
 /class-wp-block-pattern-categories-registry.php pattern categories] a
 registry is used. I know these are kind of different, because block styles
 can be registered outside from register_block_type, but that might be
 interesting for variations in the future as well. Also variations are kind
 of "bound" more to a single block type.

 So maybe that approach - to use a singleton registry - could work for
 variations as well? That does not necessarily solve the performance aspect
 of this issue, but wanted to give it as an input for the architecture.

 It's my understanding, that the original issue is a performance issue but
 we're getting into API design territory here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59969#comment:29>