[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60398: WordPress 6.4.3 MacOS/Linux Compressed Zip plugin archives "Incompatible Archive" on upload

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 27 23:04:56 UTC 2024

#60398: WordPress 6.4.3 MacOS/Linux Compressed Zip plugin archives "Incompatible
Archive" on upload
 Reporter:  Endymion00                           |       Owner:
                                                 |  peterwilsoncc
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by jorbin):

 > Are you (wp people) intentionally trying to kill off non-repo plugins
 and themes or what?

 No.

 > Open-source purists may not appreciate the fact that people have built
 businesses around commercial uses of WordPress outside of the repository,
 but WordPress wouldn't be as huge as it is without us. This is a fairly
 straightforward situation, I think. The update needs to be released
 without further delay.

 You are correct that this is straightforward. There are multiple
 workarounds available and there is a release scheduled for less than a
 month from now. There is no evidence of this bug damaging users sites.

 I think that the rationale that
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60398#comment:56 costdev shared
 above] remains accurate:
 > This issue, like all issues, has caused disruption. However, sites have
 not gone down, files have not been deleted, and themes aren't broken.
 There is a limited number of affected developers, who can repackage their
 plugins using an alternate method. There is a limited number of affected
 users, and several alternatives have been mentioned during this
 discussion. While the workarounds aren't literal one-click solutions,
 they're available whereas other issues may have no workaround.

 > The project's processes include us measuring the reach and impact of
 each bug to package fixes appropriately. Otherwise, we'd be releasing a
 new WordPress version for every individual fix and pushing to millions of
 sites and servers 3-4 times a day. That's a lot of room for something to
 go wrong, and even if it always went right, can you imagine the update
 email spam? 💀

 > We will be continuing to monitor other issues and fixes to determine how
 we can best package these for release as soon as possible.

 I've yet to hear any rationale that makes me want to reconsider the
 classification of this from a normal severity bug and not something to
 trigger a release on it's own, though I have
 [https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQC6RW/p1709068030164079 reached
 out to the forums team] to see if there have been an unusual amount of
 users opening issues. They have not raised any flags, but checking in to
 hear from those contributors makes sense to me.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60398#comment:85>