[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55603: PHP 8.2: address deprecation of the utf8_encode() and utf8_decode() functions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 26 23:08:33 UTC 2024

#55603: PHP 8.2: address deprecation of the utf8_encode() and utf8_decode()
functions
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jrf                             |       Owner:  hellofromTonya
     Type:  task (blessed)                  |      Status:  assigned
                                            |  standards
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------

Comment (by swissspidy):

 > I'm not following how this is a con rather than a simple observation.
 What is the con?

 The con is that the functions are not actually removed yet in PHP, they're
 just deprecated. We can't polyfill functions that still exist. Many WP
 site will be on PHP 8.2 and below for many years to come, continuing to
 experience these deprecation warnings. We need to address this now, not in
 X years when we raise the minimum PHP version to one where the functions
 were actually removed.

 ---

 Speaking of polyfilling though, have we considered using
 https://packagist.org/packages/symfony/polyfill-mbstring instead of making
 the mbstring extension mandatory? I successfully use it in some of my
 plugins because mbstring is not so widely adopted as one would hope.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55603#comment:59>