[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55603: PHP 8.2: address deprecation of the utf8_encode() and utf8_decode() functions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 26 20:38:18 UTC 2024

#55603: PHP 8.2: address deprecation of the utf8_encode() and utf8_decode()
functions
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jrf                             |       Owner:  hellofromTonya
     Type:  task (blessed)                  |      Status:  assigned
                                            |  standards
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 Replying to [comment:56 dmsnell]:
 >Polyfilling thus leaves the status quo, which seems fair because the code
 calling these methods can and maybe should be addressed in their own time
 and with their own priority, instead of artificially as a result of
 support in the language being pulled out.

 Hey @dmsnell, what you think about the cons @jrf listed in the ticket's
 description for the option to polyfill:
 >As far as I know, no PHP native function has ever been polyfilled due to
 it being removed from PHP.
 and
 >As most uses of these functions are likely to be incorrect usage
 (especially in plugins), these "bugs" will remain and not be reviewed or
 addressed, undercutting the improvement PHP is trying to make.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55603#comment:57>