[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49151: Show a warning for plugins in WP admin that haven't received updates in a long time

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 23 13:13:08 UTC 2024

#49151: Show a warning for plugins in WP admin that haven't received updates in a
long time
 Reporter:  vincenthasselgard        |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  accepted
  patch needs-design-feedback        |  ui-copy
  needs-refresh 2nd-opinion          |

Comment (by zodiac1978):

 We allow every plugin developer to add as many links/icons/images to this
 plugin page as wanted, but we are discussing if we add essential
 information like "last updated"!?

 From a supporter and maintenance perspective, this information is crucial
 and should be shown.

 Directly on this plugin list page would be best. If this is not possible
 due to performance or other reasons, it could be added to Site Health. But
 we shouldn't add this to the existing Site Health UI without further
 thoughts.

 There are plugins that are doing this job already:
 https://wordpress.org/plugins/plugin-report/

 And this plugin shows more needs for such a solution. Even more important
 is the information that a plugin was closed on the plugin directory. This
 is not shown at all and is (mostly) much worse than a plugin which is just
 not updated for a while. Very simple plugins may not need updates, they
 just still work.

 I would recommend adding this as a new tab for the Site Health feature.
 Maybe only in the plugin first.

 The warnings on the plugin list table (as mentioned and mocked up above)
 should be added for closed plugins, IMHO.

 Both features would help with the security of WordPress and align with the
 core and plugin principles in general and for this specific feature.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49151#comment:67>