[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32728: Customizer Menus: Accessibility: reordering menu items should have some indication about the item level

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Feb 22 01:30:44 UTC 2024

#32728: Customizer Menus: Accessibility: reordering menu items should have some
indication about the item level
----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  designsimply          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)          |      Status:  assigned
  testing                         |
----------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Comment (by joedolson):

 This updated patch simplifies the changes. The original patch by
 @kushang78 included a few changes that I don't think we should make.
 First, the introduction of duplicate accessible name via the `title`
 attribute. Second, it modified the button text in the Customizer to match
 the format in the admin nav menus, but without also adding the equivalent
 JS to modify the texts as they are in the admin nav menus.

 Overall, I think that the control's accessible name is currently better in
 the customizer than it is in the admin nav menus, so I don't think this
 should be changed in the customizer.

 The Customizer accessible name format is "Edit menu item: {item title}
 ({item type})".

 The admin accessible name format is "{item title} Menu item n of n". It
 doesn't include the purpose of the control or the type, so the Customizer
 is providing better information; the admin menu needs to be updated.

 The patch doesn't address the idea of adding the menu item's depth in any
 way, and I think that's a more major thing to address.

 I propose committing the version of the code in the simplified patch,
 which meets the intention expressed in the original ticket, and open an
 enhancement ticket to add depth to both menu interfaces and a bug to
 address the accessible naming in the admin menu interface.

 While working on this, I also noticed an unrelated bug where the button
 text only would return either `data.title` or
 `wp.customize.Menus.data.l10n.untitled`, and didn't return
 `data.original_title`, which caused it to be untitled for any item without
 an explicitly defined title. It seemed reasonable to fix that at the same
 time.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32728#comment:24>