[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60457: Plugin Dependencies: Running update_option within wp-settings can be catastrophic for a high traffic site

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 10 00:31:10 UTC 2024

#60457: Plugin Dependencies: Running update_option within wp-settings can be
catastrophic for a high traffic site
--------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  dd32          |       Owner:  costdev
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:11 costdev]:

 > Should we cease to load them, but only forcibly deactivate them on
 `plugins.php` or `plugin-install.php`?

 > Or should we stop the forcible deactivation and just not load their
 files?

 Yea, good questions. Don't think there is a big difference between "not
 loaded" and "deactivated", but a nice nuance to keep in mind.

 The more important part imho is to inform the site admins what's happening
 so they can take action.

 Thinking this discussion may be better off in that new ticket I was
 planning to open. Will link it here when ready.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60457#comment:12>