[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60398: WordPress 6.4.3 MacOS Compressed Zip plugin archives "Incompatible Archive" on upload

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 2 00:53:28 UTC 2024

#60398: WordPress 6.4.3 MacOS Compressed Zip plugin archives "Incompatible Archive"
on upload
----------------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  Endymion00                              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                            |      Status:  new

Comment (by StephenCronin):

 Hi. I'll just chip in with my 2c as someone who works for Envato.

 It looks like this issue has broken backwards compatibility for
 potentially tens of thousands of themes / plugins and is going to cause
 end users (and developers) a lot of frustration.

 I don't think it's helpful to say "Wp.org themes and plugins are okay, so
 it's not really a problem". There are literally tens of thousands of
 themes and plugins outside the wp.org repo and an unknown percentage of
 these will be affected. From a very small sample of the
 ThemeForest/CodeCanyon themes/plugins sitting on my hard drive (about 20),
 10% encountered this problem. We have 12,000 themes and 5,000 plugins, so
 that's potentially a lot of items and people affected.

 I also don't think it's helpful to say "Well developers should not be
 creating zip files manually" - that might be true, but if a breaking
 change is going to be introduced, developers should be warned a long time
 in advance and giving them plenty of time to prepare.

 It sounds like a backward compatible solution is in the works, which is
 great! I'd urge the team to please consider releasing this as soon as
 possible given the significant number of people who may be affected.

 Thanks both for your hard work in general and for hopefully considering
 this.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60398#comment:57>