[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61105: Login page gives 503 when visited from another country instead of helpful message

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 30 20:39:03 UTC 2024

#61105: Login page gives 503 when visited from another country instead of helpful
message
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  ari314                  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)            |     Status:  new
Component:  Login and Registration  |    Version:
 Severity:  minor                   |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui                      |
------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 I live in The Netherlands and my WorkPress site is also hosted there. I am
 currently in Switzerland. I can visit my WordPress page without problem,
 but when clicking the login link at the bottom of the page I get a 503
 error message instead of the login form. The cause seems to be my
 location, because a friend located back in The Netherlands can login
 through the same page.

 I think a 403 (Forbidden) would be a more helpful error code in this
 situation than 503 (Service unavailable). The server is working just fine,
 but it is refusing service due to my location. A more informative error
 message that would actually mention that my location is the problem would
 be even better.