[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #61053: Provide a way to load multiple specific network options with a single database / cache request

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 23 14:05:08 UTC 2024

#61053: Provide a way to load multiple specific network options with a single
database / cache request
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  spacedmonkey        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new

Comment (by spacedmonkey):

 Replying to [comment:2 peterwilsoncc]:
 > @spacedmonkey I was under the impression that the site options used the
 meta cache, either directly or indirectly.

 > If that isn't the case, is there any reason it can't be set up as such?

 There is a ticket for converting these functions to use metadata api, see
 #37181. It was committed in [54080] and then reverted in [54637]. I
 haven't had a chance loop back on that ticket.

 It is unclear to me that loading all network options in memory for every
 request would be a good thing for performance. Loading in all network
 transients ( if object cache is not enabled ), might result in megabytes
 of text or json, might have serious performance issues.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/61053#comment:3>