[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60799: Change the Header Tag in Link Modal from <h1> to <h2> for Better Accessibility

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 19 19:11:59 UTC 2024

#60799: Change the Header Tag in Link Modal from <h1> to <h2> for Better
Accessibility
--------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  lyonmuller    |       Owner:  jwgoedert
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by joedolson):

 The big question here, I think, is "is a modal dialog within the content
 of the surrounding page or not".

 Adrian's argument is semantic: the modal is accessed within the context of
 the parent page, and the H1 of the parent page still applies to that
 context, so the heading should be an H2 in most cases.

 Alex's argument is user-flow based: at the time you access the heading, it
 is the primary heading for your current context. Therefore, if you are
 seeking for an H1, and the modal header is an H2, you will not be able to
 find it, because it is not an active element on the page. Since every view
 should have an H1 to define the purpose of the view, the modal should have
 an H1.

 Both arguments have merit, and I think we just have to make a decision
 within the team which perspective we thinking is preferable. In my
 opinion, the semantic argument is valid, but tenuous, and it's not clear
 it benefits the user. I'm not sure we should let semantic purity take
 precedence over user experience; but I think we should pursue additional
 input from other team members before making a decision.

 @alh0319 @afercia Would welcome your thoughts here!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/60799#comment:9>