[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59742: Media library should display the number of pages/posts/urls a particular media file is being used in.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 18 10:18:31 UTC 2024

#59742: Media library should display the number of pages/posts/urls a particular
media file is being used in.
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  rsiddiqe      |       Owner:  antpb
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by rsiddiqe):

 Replying to [comment:8 joedolson]:
 > We could certainly add a link to search results, per @matt's suggestion.
 We might want to think about doing some kind of special search that also
 accounted for usage as featured images, since I think only identifying
 image usages in post content will be too limited in scope

 Further considerations to increase the scope of the feature:

 1. Published URL's that are using a specific image.
 2. Category of URL's (Page or Post).
 3. Sorting based on Published date of the URL.
 4. Sorting based on the date image was added to the page/post.
 5. Select URL to show all media used on the page/post.
 6. Identifiers based on the usage of the image in blocks (div, Featured
 Image, Inner Image etc.).
 7. Deletion warning (!) such as (Image is in use on the following number
 of pages/posts).
 8. Whether an Image is unused.

 These are a few I've personally felt the need for when managing sites of
 10K+ media with 3-5 years age.

 Considering the current state of Media Library it's not intuitive enough
 for managing large number of media files. Adding these will enhance the
 management capabilities for users that can't tinker around with Adminer or
 MySQL Queries.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59742#comment:9>