[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #60799: Change the Header Tag in Link Modal from <h1> to <h2> for Better Accessibility

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 17 22:48:04 UTC 2024

#60799: Change the Header Tag in Link Modal from <h1> to <h2> for Better
Accessibility
--------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  lyonmuller    |       Owner:  jwgoedert
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by alexstine):

 Hello,

 Noting here that I really disagree with the whole headings assessment in
 modals. I am a blind user and here is the conclusion I've come to for
 modals, noting this does not apply to non-modals.
 1. I open a page.
 2. Navigate to the first heading.
 3. Find a button to open a modal.
 4. Navigate through the modal.
 5. Want to hear the title again, maybe it is a prompt asking me if I want
 to delete something.
 6. I'll press Shift+1 on Windows to find the first heading 1.
 7. Title is announced.

 The whole argument that headings should follow order is an important one,
 but not when the content outside of a modal is inert. If you were anywhere
 else but a modal, the Shift+1 shortcut would have landed you on the page
 title. If inside a modal with a heading 2 as the title, all you hear is
 "no previous heading 1" because the h1 like the rest of the content, is as
 said before, inert.

 I predict this will lead to very confusing experiences for users and it's
 not one I am in favor of pushing in WP. No sense in following heading
 order if there are no headings present in the accessibility tree
 proceeding the modal title.

 I believe strongly the W3C example should be updated to be more in line
 with how users will experience this.

 https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/apg/patterns/dialog-modal/examples/dialog/

 If we take a look at the example from Deque University, it is more of the
 approach I would take.

 https://dequeuniversity.com/library/aria/simple-dialog

 Thanks.

--