[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58517: HTML API: Introduce HTML Processor, a higher-level partner to the Tag Processor

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Sep 23 00:25:59 UTC 2023

#58517: HTML API: Introduce HTML Processor, a higher-level partner to the Tag
Processor
----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  dmsnell                     |       Owner:  Bernhard Reiter
     Type:  enhancement                 |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by dmsnell):

 @azaozz I don't want to continue these circular discussions here since
 everyone can examine the code for themselves to see what's accurate and
 not.

 I started collecting a list of places people are introducing the HTML API.
 so far, from what I found, about half of the cases are directly replacing
 string-based HTML processing. the other half are more or less doing the
 same thing but in new features. in other words, the features would be
 processing HTML in PHP regardless, but they are new enough that they're
 leaning on the HTML API for reliability instead of regular expressions and
 string-replace.

 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/discussions/54750 HTML API
 introductions in the WordPress world]

 if you are looking for where to share opposition, I recommend that you
 leave it in those PRs where people are introducing what you don't like:
 processing HTML in PHP. this HTML API development is only about making
 ongoing work more reliable and about removing decades of defects,
 exploits, and breakage; it's not about persuading people to do more or
 less work on the server or in the client.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58517#comment:24>