[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59416: Add a GitHub Action which alerts contributors to a WordPress Playground link to use for testing PRs

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 20 20:53:28 UTC 2023

#59416: Add a GitHub Action which alerts contributors to a WordPress Playground
link to use for testing PRs
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  JeffPaul          |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |     Status:  new
Component:  Build/Test Tools  |    Version:
 Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                    |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 The following approach could help bring in many new folks to help with
 testing PRs as they no longer need to have a local set up and able to load
 patches/PRs locally and can quickly jump into a WordPress Playground
 environment to help test.

 ----

 Gutenberg has a GitHub Action that builds a ZIP of the plugin
 ([https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/blob/trunk/.github/workflows
 /build-plugin-zip.yml workflow file],
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/actions/runs/6250831688 example
 Gutenberg PR with built ZIP attached]) which then
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/playground/ WordPress Playground] makes
 use of in the [https://playground.wordpress.net/gutenberg.html Gutenberg
 PR Previewer].

 Taking that above functionality a step further and integrating for Core:
 1. Add a GitHub Action for [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/ wordpress-develop] that builds a ZIP of core for a PR (similar to
 the Gutenberg action).
 2. Have that same action also add a comment to the PR with a link to a
 WordPress Playground that's built using the ZIP from the PR.  So a comment
 like:
 > Thanks <@PR-author>!  Here's a link to a site created from this PR that
 can be used for testing: <wordpress-playground-link>.

 In my quick review of the [https://wordpress.github.io/wordpress-
 playground/ WordPress Playground documentation] it does reference an
 ability to [https://wordpress.github.io/wordpress-playground/build-your-
 first-app/#preview-pull-requests-from-your-repositorypreview pull requests
 from your repository], but I think that's crafted more for plugin
 developers and not for WordPress core itself.  I took a look at
 [https://wordpress.github.io/wordpress-
 playground/api/client/interface/ReplaceSiteStep/ ReplaceSiteStep], but I
 think that's just for loading in alternate content and not a full on
 separate WordPress ZIP.  So, this functionality might require additional
 functionality within WordPress Playground but I'll try and chase down
 folks from that team to comment here on the topic.