[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59395: Update post button is always enabled when there is a meta box in the block editor

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 19 15:25:05 UTC 2023

#59395: Update post button is always enabled when there is a meta box in the block
editor
 Reporter:  rilwis        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor        |    Version:  6.3.1
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  has-screenshots
  Focuses:  ui            |
 When editing a post in the block editor, if there's any meta box for the
 post, the "Update" post button is always enabled (active), even if there's
 no changes in the content.

 For the test, I use this snippet to create a simple meta box, which
 outputs just a text:

 {{{
 add_action( 'add_meta_boxes', function() {
         add_meta_box( 'test', 'Test', 'my_callback_func', 'post' );
 } );

 function my_callback_func() {
         echo 'Just a text, and the Update button is always active.';
 }
 }}}

 And when editing a post, like "Hello world", the update button is always
 enabled like this, even though the post title and content don't change.

 [[Image(https://i.imgur.com/jJqfTui.png)]]

 When I click the "Update" button to save data, it's disabled while saving,
 and then is enabled again.

 The normal behavior is that when there's no changes, it's always disabled.
 Or after saving the post, it's disabled.

 In this case, it's always enabled, which seems to be a UX bug.