[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59364: When editing Styles > Layout or Block > * > Dimensions, every possible (and unnecessary) combination of global settings is copied to custom styles

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 15 10:04:37 UTC 2023

#59364: When editing Styles > Layout or Block > * > Dimensions, every possible (and
unnecessary) combination of global settings is copied to custom styles
 Reporter:  uxl           |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor        |    Version:  6.3.1
 Severity:  blocker       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 In the site editor, when making changes in Styles > Layout, it looks like
 every possible core block style and setting is copied and saved in the
 custom styles (wp_global_styles).

 This results in a ton of unnecessary global styles and settings, such as
 default colors and default font sizes, even in a theme that has defined
 settings.color.defaultPalette as false for example.

 As far as I can tell the only styles option that triggers this are the
 options in Styles > Layout.
 I've tried other options such as Typography, Colors, and individual block
 settings, and they all seem to work as expected in that the only thing
 saved in the custom styles is the option being edited.

 No issue with WP 6.2.2
 It seems this bug was introduced in WP 6.3

 The Gutenberg issue for reference:
 https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/53868