[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58962: Provide a way to load multiple specific options with a single database request

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 25 21:54:12 UTC 2023

#58962: Provide a way to load multiple specific options with a single database
request
 Reporter:  flixos90                             |       Owner:  flixos90
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 Replying to [comment:48 flixos90]:
 > 1. Should we prefix the functions with an underscore?
 > 2. Should we use the term "prime" or the term "load"?

 1. You've convinced me, it's probably best ''not'' to follow the
 convention and prefix with `wp_`.
 2. I remain convinced prime is the  best term. Both because of how the
 functions differ from existing `wp_load` functions and, as Jon mentions
 above, priming a cache is an established industry phrase. I'm guessing
 that's why the original function names used the word prime.

 My linked [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/5548 pull
 request #5548] follows these steps and uses the names
 `wp_prime_options_cache()` and `wp_prime_options_cache_by_group()`. A
 modified version of @joemcgill's option two to address @flixos90's
 concerns about continuing with an underscore convention.

 I'd like to adopt these in 6.4 and continue the original discussion from
 #56386 about either deprecating or aliasing the existing functions in a
 follow up ticket. Joe's option three.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58962#comment:49>