[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59723: Pattern file containing PHP constant from theme causes fatal error on update to WordPress 6.4

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 24 22:40:04 UTC 2023

#59723: Pattern file containing PHP constant from theme causes fatal error on
update to WordPress 6.4
-----------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  fabiankaegy      |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by joemcgill):

 After more investigation, it looks like this issue existed prior to the
 6.4 release cycle, and was previously reported in #59020. It's possible
 this issue extends all the way back to WP version 6.0, when this was first
 introduced in [53152].

 I'll close that ticket as a duplicate if we decide to move forward with
 this fix.

 @rajinsharwar, to answer your question:

 > Just a side query, why are we loading the patterns on the init instead
 of after_theme_setup?

 It's a good question...I'm not sure what the original rationale was for
 choosing that hook. However, it this case it wouldn't matter because the
 `after_theme_setup` hook fires before `init` in `wp-settings.php` and the
 `functions.php` file would still not be loaded in this case, leading to
 the same error.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59723#comment:9>