[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59718: Short-term (WP 6.4) hotfix to prevent fatal error in standalone Gutenberg (<16.5)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 24 16:34:48 UTC 2023

#59718: Short-term (WP 6.4) hotfix to prevent fatal error in standalone Gutenberg
(<16.5)
-----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  rebasaurus       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 Replying to [comment:5 jorbin]:
 > How is this different from any of the previous times?
 `_upgrade_core_deactivate_incompatible_plugins` has existed since 5.8

 Great question. Thanks @jorbin. My originally thinking too, especially as
 it relates to the current release.

 I think the ask flows from this assertion:
 >Unlike previous instances where compatibility issues between Gutenberg
 and WP Core were resolved, this release seems to be establishing a
 stricter stance, which might hinder many from updating WP core.

 But I'm not sure this is true. Were the naming conflicts resolved in the
 older released Gutenberg versions?

 In past releases I was involved in, identified the minimum Gutenberg
 version with the same process I used for 6.4: one-by-one, activate each
 past Gutenberg plugin version until the first throws fatal errors.

 >There have also been 4 major versions of Gutenberg released since 16.4
 (the last incompatible version) so any site that is still running that
 should have upgraded by now.

 @azaozz and I were recently discussing the following:

 * At what point do older versions of Gutenberg features become
 ''incompatible'' with the newest code shipped in a WordPress major
 release?

 * As Gutenberg plugin is rapid development and bleeding edge, shouldn't
 users keep upgrading to the newer versions? Assuming this is why older
 released versions of the plugin are not maintained in its repo.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59718#comment:6>