[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58962: Provide a way to load multiple specific options with a single database request

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 24 14:33:38 UTC 2023

#58962: Provide a way to load multiple specific options with a single database
request
 Reporter:  flixos90                             |       Owner:  flixos90
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by flixos90):

 Following up on @hellofromTonya's questions above:
 * The two new functions are being introduced purely for external (plugin
 or theme, most likely plugin) developers to load their options in bulk
 before accessing them, to improve performance over having to load them
 individually only once they're accessed.
 * One may also argue that these functions are priming the caches for these
 options, though this is of secondary importance, and really not important
 (as in, a low level detail) to know for the developer using the function.
 * All they need to know is: Call this function early during the request,
 with the options from your plugin that you're going to access throughout
 the request, in order to improve performance.

 Given that this has been `dev-reviewed` by another committer, and in order
 to prevent inconsistent `trunk` and `6.4` branches, I will move forward
 with the backport, and update the dev note accordingly. I think we have
 exhausted the conversation here and everybody involved shared their
 perspectives, and they were considered. If there remains any strong
 objections against the current names that I may have missed, we can always
 reopen again.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58962#comment:38>