[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59633: Ensure theme files caching mechanisms are filterable and caches can be manually cleared

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 19 14:12:48 UTC 2023

#59633: Ensure theme files caching mechanisms are filterable and caches can be
manually cleared
--------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  afercia       |       Owner:  (none)
Changes (by joemcgill):

 * keywords:   => 2nd-opinion
 * type:  enhancement => defect (bug)
 * milestone:  6.5 => 6.4

Comment:

 I tend to agree with @afercia that there are many legitimate use cases
 when this new theme pattern cache can become stale and potentially lead to
 errors, where they would not get cleared by one of the cache invalidation
 methods that have been set in place, nor where using the
 `WP_DEVELOPMENT_MODE` constant is appropriate. The Theme Editor is
 one—quite legitimate—concern, but this also doesn't take into account
 sites that have their themes in evergreen development, where incremental
 updates are made and deployed via CI or any other automated method.

 This is the first place where persistent caching has been added for theme
 files (we previously added the `wp_core_block_css_files` transient for
 core block styles in `register_core_block_style_handles`). There have been
 other places in the past where file caching for themes/plugins has been
 considered and reverted (e.g. [42242]).

 I think we need to consider removing this transient, or pursuing one of
 the options @afercia suggested during RC to ensure sites can opt-out of
 this theme cache or clear it easily when changes are deployed. Moving back
 to the 6.4 milestone for discussion.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59633#comment:12>