[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #55019: Missing the Upload Featured image and Categories option after update the WP 5.9

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 18 15:17:39 UTC 2023

#55019: Missing the Upload Featured image and Categories option after update the WP
5.9
 Reporter:  Kuuuzya                              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by jhmonroe):

 FWIW, I'm still getting this issue intermittently when I open certain
 pages, Featured Image is missing in the WP admin and also does not appear
 in three dots > preferences > panels > Document settings > *featured
 image*

 Some pages it will show up, others it won't. It's notable that when it
 does load, it's one of the last things to load on the page after
 everything else. All the other admin items will load in the sidebar, then
 template switches from "default template" to "pages" (the block theme site
 editor version of this), "slug" quickly switches to "URL", author loads,
 move to trash loads, and featured image area loads. Template & Slug
 visibly switching leads me to believe the core is running thru classic
 theme checks first, then loading block theme versions of these items. For
 some reason the block theme version of Featured image is the last thing to
 load on the page. Also the fact that other posters mention adding a blank
 index.php file solves their issue. This makes is seem like the core is
 still preferring classic theme requirements sporadically depending how
 quickly the page loads and performs all it's checks.

 I made a video so everyone can see the order things load here. When
 Featured Image doesn't load, it's as if the last step in this video just
 doesn't happen.
 https://www.dropbox.com/s/axbtsuzed6slhbb/reload-featured-image.mov?dl=0

 Other mentions (addressing index.php, styles.css, jquery, wp-includes, re-
 installing core, themes, plugins, etc):
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55019 (this ticket)
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/52855
 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/missing-the-upload-featured-image-
 option-after-update-the-wp-5-9/ (this one is really detailed)
 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-support-for-post-thumbnails-
 stopped-working-after-upgrading-to-wp-5-7/
 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/featured-image-feature-has-vanished/
 https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/45836
 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/featured-image-field-not-showing-in-
 the-admin-panel/
 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/no-categories-and-featured-image-can-
 set/
 https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66563202/theme-support-for-post-
 thumbnails-stopped-working-after-upgrading-to-wordpress-5
 https://stackoverflow.com/questions/67423437/featured-image-of-wordpress-
 doesnt-appear-in-admin/71261080#71261080
 and many more!:
 https://wordpress.org/search/featured+image+missing/

 Replying to [comment:6 stevenjaycohen]:
 errors you see in the console there, @jhmonroe @stevenjaycohen & @Kuuuzya?

 > Hey there, my report was 12 months ago, and the workaround I included
 fixed the issue for me. So there is nothing in my console at this time
 that I could supply to aid in diagnosis. I can say that no upgrades since
 v5.9 have caused the issue to recur.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/55019#comment:8>