[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59633: Ensure theme files caching mechanisms are filterable and caches can be manually cleared

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 17 07:41:22 UTC 2023

#59633: Ensure theme files caching mechanisms are filterable and caches can be
manually cleared
--------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  afercia       |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by afercia):

 Replying to [comment:2 flixos90]:
 > The average end user does not touch the theme, so there's no problem.

 I think this is a little too optimistic assumption. I appreciate optimism,
 but I'm not sure it's a good base where to build solid software upon. They
 do touch code, and they will, forever.

 > I would like to understand what your issue is with setting a constant
 for this.

 I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

 Anyways, my point is not about what the nature of `WP_DEVELOPMENT_MODE`
 is. That's too technical and doesn't help understanding what WordPress
 users need. My point is about legitimate user flows that haven't been
 taken sufficiently into consideration when implementing the caching.

 FTP was a big one. It has been only ''partially'' addressed in #59591 /
 [56931]. A more complete mitigation of the problem would be
 https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-develop/pull/5495

 I'd like to stress again on the point that there are very likely more
 legitimate scenarios that we can't think of right now and that will break
 user flows.

 One of them appears to be working with the Theme File Editor at `/wp-admin
 /theme-editor.php`, which I will detail in a separate comment.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59633#comment:6>