[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59631: Despite using Update URI Plugin header, WP still tries to fetch the Update notes from WP org

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 16 05:17:22 UTC 2023

#59631: Despite using Update URI Plugin header, WP still tries to fetch the Update
notes from WP org
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  bedas           |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  General         |    Version:  6.3.3
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:  2nd-opinion
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Despite setting a Plugin Header
 [https://make.wordpress.org/core/2021/06/29/introducing-update-uri-plugin-
 header-in-wordpress-5-8/ `Update URI` directive WP still will try to fetch
 the Update information (changelog) from a  WP Org plugin.

 And when filtering the `url` with
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/update_plugins_hostname/
 `update_plugins_{hostname}`] , it will simply load an instance of the `Add
 new` plugin screen in the ThickBox loaded when clicking `View version
 vx.x.x details`

 I am quite sure I do not miss anything, as I read through all the
 (undocumented) new feature announcements.

 This is a minimal code you need to replicate the issue:

 1. Update plugin header directive to use `Update URI: https://domain.tld`
 2. Either hook into `update_plugins_{hostname}` and pass a `version`
 higher than your currently installed one, or
 2a. Hook into `pre_set_site_transient_update_plugins` and pass a new
 `new_version` higher than your currently installed one
 3. Of course make sure you do actually have a remote update
 ==> You could also just edit the database entry of
 `_site_transient_update_plugins` to trigger the "has update" alert in the
 plugins list...

 All this makes the Update URI pretty much dysfunctional (in the sense that
 it is not really useful at all) and the developer still needs to manually
 filter the ThickBox content for the "View update details" or even for the
 "Plugin details"
 And the documentation about all this is either inexistent or very limited
 (opened a separate issue about ''that'' [here