[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59556: WordPress Multisite issue - Media files presenting on Google with wrong domain

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 9 07:52:26 UTC 2023

#59556: WordPress Multisite issue - Media files presenting on Google with wrong
domain
--------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  nutsonshells        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)        |      Status:  new
Changes (by costdev):

 * keywords:   => has-screenshots

Old description:

> Hi WordPress Team,
>
> I have a WordPress Multisite set up with 6 sites. Each site has its own
> domain name.
>
> I discovered on a google search, that an uploaded media file is
> incorrectly referenced and basically "shared" between domains.
>
> I have google showing a link to a file on site #17, but it is referencing
> the wrong domain  name Cygnia Cove, which is site #20.
>
> Google shows:
> https://cygniacove.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/Vivente-Sales-
> Brochure-LR.pdf
>
> But it should be showing:
> https://viventeliving.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/Vivente-Sales-
> Brochure-LR.pdf
>
> See also attached screenshots.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Regine

New description:

 Hi WordPress Team,

 I have a WordPress Multisite set up with 6 sites. Each site has its own
 domain name.

 I discovered on a google search, that an uploaded media file is
 incorrectly referenced and basically "shared" between domains.

 I have google showing a link to a file on site ''#''17, but it is
 referencing the domain  name for site ''#''20.

 Google shows:
 {{{
 https://site20domain/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/filename.pdf
 }}}

 But it should be showing:
 {{{
 https://site17domain/wp-content/uploads/sites/17/filename.pdf
 }}}

 See also attached screenshots.

 Thanks

 Kind regards,

 Regine

 Hi @nutsonshells, welcome to Trac and thanks for opening this ticket!

 I'm just commenting to make a few adjustments to the ticket's description
 and note that it `has-screenshots`.

 If you think of any more information that may be useful for those who will
 look into this, please feel free to post additional comments. 🙂

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59556#comment:1>