[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59283: Block Editor: Edit permalink slug for posts is only possible after clicking "save as draft"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 3 14:27:55 UTC 2023

#59283: Block Editor: Edit permalink slug for posts is only possible after clicking
"save as draft"
------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  youknowriad             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  new

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 This ticket isn't ready yet. [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/pull/5138 The discussion is still happening the patch], i.e. how
 to solve it and what the impacts might be.

 The proposed fix is a starting point for discussion:
 >I'm not entirely certain about this fix as it's a bit low level, would
 appreciate a review from folks familiar with this.

 There are concerns about [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/pull/5138#discussion_r1317745574 unknown potential regressions
 that the change might make harder to identify]:
 > > I'm not entirely certain about all the consequences here
 >
 > Yep, thinking this is not such a good idea. It might result is some
 "unexplained" regressions in other unexpected code/places as (as far as I
 see) that deals with post caching.

 considered "temporary" as they may become unavailable by the time the post
 is published. On top of that the users can edit them. Generally auto-draft
 posts should never have a permalink as these posts "don't exist" in the
 real sense. They are simply placeholders indicating a possible intention
 to maybe have a post with that ID :)

 And it needs discovery of the differences between posts and pages:
 >And why do we have a different behavior for pages? For pages, it's
 possible to set the slugs right away and this functions returns the right

 It would be hopeful for any contributors with deep expertise in this area
 could take a look and offer insights.

 For now, `dev-feedback` keyword is appropriate to flag more responses from
 those in the know.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59283#comment:5>