[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58632: Add support for 'async' and 'defer' loading to script that use inline scripts.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 27 20:36:25 UTC 2023

#58632: Add support for 'async' and 'defer' loading to script that use inline
scripts.
-------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  joemcgill          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  closed

Comment (by westonruter):

 Replying to [comment:4 JG Visual]:
 > I still have concerns though that the vast majority of developers will
 end up without the best solution. [...] I only learned what the issue was
 by diving into the Core PHP. While some developers might do that, many
 likely won't. ΒΆ If this won't be supported, should we at least update the
 documentation for the related functions to note the limitations? We could
 also output a message in debug.log, but that might be overkill.

 Where do you think this documentation would best live given your
 experience as a developer who just encountered this issue? You found it by
 digging into core. We do have the restriction on inline after scripts
 [https://make.wordpress.org/core/2023/07/14/registering-scripts-with-
 async-and-defer-attributes-in-
 wordpress-6-3/#:~:text=factors%20warrant%20it.-,Inline%20scripts,-There%20are%20some
 documented in a Make/Core post].

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58632#comment:7>