[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #58632: Add support for 'async' and 'defer' loading to script that use inline scripts.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 20 22:59:40 UTC 2023

#58632: Add support for 'async' and 'defer' loading to script that use inline
scripts.
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  joemcgill          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new

Comment (by JG Visual):

 Thanks a ton for the thoughtful response @westonruter. It's great to know
 what options are available.

 I still have concerns though that the vast majority of developers will end
 up without the best solution. They'll try to combine the `aysnc` strategy
 with an inline script that loads after, resulting in the strategy not
 applying. Then they either won't realize it's not working, or will be
 confused why it's not. I only learned what the issue was by diving into
 the Core PHP. While some developers might do that, many likely won't.

 If this won't be supported, should we at least update the documentation
 for the related functions to note the limitations? We could also output a
 message in debug.log, but that might be overkill.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/58632#comment:4>