[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59847: Since WordPress 6.4, the functions.php of a theme moved to a different location using register_theme_directory is no longer called

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 10 15:44:32 UTC 2023

#59847: Since WordPress 6.4, the functions.php of a theme moved to a different
location using register_theme_directory is no longer called
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  partyfrikadelle             |       Owner:  joemcgill
     Type:  defect (bug)                |      Status:  reviewing
                                        |  performance
----------------------------------------+----------------------------------

Comment (by joemcgill):

 Replying to [comment:34 kdowns]:
 > With memoization and the proposed PR, there are cases when early calls
 to `get_stylesheet_directory()` will return as null.

 Good catch, @kdowns! I made a mistake in the initial PR and should have
 been returning `$template_dir` rather than returning `$wp_template_path`
 when `did_action( 'plugins_loaded' )` returns `false`. Either way, I think
 that [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/pull/5644#issuecomment-1804789901 PR #5644] is probably the better
 approach here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/59847#comment:41>