[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #59861: WordPress 6.4 – Initial theme activation works, page reload claims missing stylesheet

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 9 09:25:17 UTC 2023

#59861: WordPress 6.4 – Initial theme activation works, page reload claims missing
stylesheet
 Reporter:  Rvervuurt     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  6.4
 Severity:  major         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  template      |
 Wordpress 6.4 breaks my theme setup.
 Rolling back to 6.3 fixes this, but I would like to be able to update and
 run the latest versions. I have 50+ themes built on the same boiler plate,
 so if they all start updating, I have a big problem.

 Case: When I activate the theme, WordPress tells me the theme is
 successfully activated:
 [[Image(https://i.imgur.com/7tGrDeu.png)]]

 This is also reflected in my database:
 [[Image(https://i.imgur.com/1sMwhW6.png)]]

 Visiting the page works, everything works.

 UNTIL one visits the themes.php-page again:
 [[Image(https://i.imgur.com/m7d2Ss4.png)]]

 I suspect this is because my `stylesheet`-value in the database contains
 `/templates`, which is added with this function:
 ```
 add_filter('stylesheet', function ($stylesheet) {
     return dirname($stylesheet);
 });

 add_action('after_switch_theme', function () {
     $stylesheet = get_option('stylesheet');
     if (basename($stylesheet) !== 'templates') {
         update_option('stylesheet', $stylesheet . '/templates');
     }
 });
 ```

 I NEED the `stylesheet`-structure to be `theme-name/templates`, otherwise
 I just get a white page with no content whatsoever.
 [[Image(https://i.imgur.com/yKiehqx.png)]]

 So, I either need to find a fix for the page, so it works with `wp-theme-
 ohd` as the value for both the `template` and `stylesheet`, or WordPress
 needs to fix what they changed when shifting to 6.4, since it worked
 perfectly fine and problem free on 6.3.